Thursday 18 July 2013

Local author Joy James reflects on the Gedling Book Festival

I would like to say well done and thank you to all who worked so hard and long to bring us the first ever Arnold Bookfest / Gedling Book Festival. What a well planned and thought out three day event it proved to be, sited as it was on such a beautiful park with a backdrop of the most glorious weather!

With Authors’ talks, performers, workshops, children’s activities, ‘Meet the Author’ sessions, plus live music, it was a treat for the eyes ears and soul of the hundreds of visitors it attracted.

 
I listened in awe to Maitland, Ebsworth and Hollick while moved to peep through my fingers as David Bell described some truly awful local murders and wondered how he slept nights!
 
  
Then, beneath the shade of the trees in all their summer glory, I listened to the choir and solo artiste doing their best under a plastic tent in the searing heat, for Arnot Hill Park has everything except a bandstand.
 
 
The Bookfest culminated with the Silver Scribes short story competition awards of which I was delighted to be a finalist. In particular I'd like to single out Julie Malone and John Baird of New Writers UK, and Waterstone’s, to whom I will always be grateful for the interest and encouragement they have always shown towards my books.
 
 
I do so hope this is the beginning of an annual festival affair and look forward with great pleasure to its literary future. Well done all of you.
                                                                                   Joy James



Joy James is the author of 'Yo'd mak a parson swear!'
http://www.joyjamesnottingham.co.uk/
 

                               

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment